Know Value Added Tax (VAT)
Also known in some countries as a goods and services tax (GST), value-added tax (VAT), is a kind of tax that is assessed incrementally. It is levied on the price of a product or service at every step of the supply chain, from production to distribution to sale to the end consumer. Until 1st January 2018, the UAE was a VAT-free nation as most of the revenues have been generated from oil sales to other countries. But later the UAE decided to introduce other forms of revenue such as VAT with an aim to reduce their dependence on this source and other hydrocarbons. Today VAT is applicable to all the seven emirates of the nation at the rate of 5 per cent which is levied at the point of sale. Businesses collect and atone for the tax on behalf of the government. A business house pays the government the tax that it collects from its customers. At the same time, it receives a refund from the government on tax that it has paid to its suppliers. Foreign businesses also qualify to recover the VAT they incur when visiting the UAE. Not only businesses in UAE but tourists as well pay VAT at the point of sale.
VAT Registration: Criteria & Process
UAE imposes 5% VAT on tax-registered businesses. This clearly means a business is required to be registered for VAT if their taxable supplies and imports surpass the mandatory registration threshold of AED 375,000. In addition, a business may opt to register for VAT voluntarily if their supplies and imports are less than the mandatory registration threshold, but outreach a voluntary registration threshold of AED 187,500. Similarly, they may register voluntarily if their expenses leave the voluntary registration threshold behind. This latter opportunity of voluntary registration is intended to empower start-up businesses with no turnover to register for VAT.
VAT in the UAE is overseen by the Federal Tax Authority (FTA). To register your business online for VAT through the eServices section on the Federal Tax Authority website, you have to create an account first. Below are the steps to follow once you are done with that:
- Log in to your eServices account and click on the button reading “Register For VAT”. Please note that you can’t register for both VAT and Excise Tax at the same time. You can register your business for the next tax type only after receiving the Tax Registration Number (TRN) for the first one.
- You will reach the guide to refer to. Go through all the aspects mentioned in the guide carefully and complete the VAT registration form. (We strongly recommend you thoroughly read each of the sections while providing inputs).
- Confirm that you have read it by putting a tick mark in the “Click here box” to proceed further.
- You are required to complete all the 8 sections provided on the VAT registration form (you can’t skip the fields with red asterisks!). Don’t forget to save your progress as you complete the form. To keep yourself from doing it all over again, click on the “Save as draft” button at the bottom of the screen as the system will log you out if it detects no activity for 10 minutes.
- Once the form is duly filled, click the “Save and review” button at the bottom right-hand corner of the screen to reach the final page.
- Recheck all the sections and click the “Submit for Approval” button at the bottom right-hand corner of the screen if everything seems perfect.
Refer to the VAT registration User Guide for detailed information and to steer clear of any errors or doubts while registering your business for VAT. You may also contact the Federal Tax Authority via the enquiry form given on the website or calling on 600 599 994 or 04-7775777 for general inquiries about tax registration and/or application.
The guide we have just talked about also elaborates on the process of de-registering your business. Long story short, the company or person may apply for de-registration in 20 days in case of generating an annual turnover less than Dh187, 500 (the voluntary registration threshold) for 12 months in a row. You will be fined AED 10000 for failing to submit the deregistration application on time.
Importance of VAT Compliance
The tax registrant companies must submit VAT returns and payments to the Federal Tax Authority online on or before the 28th day following the end of the Tax Period of their company. Any sort of VAT non-compliance leads to painful fines and penalties as stipulated by the Federal Tax Authority (FTA) in UAE. The VAT Returns must be filed by all the tax registrants who have received their Tax Registration Number (TRN) under UAE Value Added Tax law and regulations made thereunder.
VAT Return Filing
Only after ensuring you meet all tax returns requirements; you must file for tax returns electronically through the FTA portal: eservices.tax.gov.ae.
Businesses’ VAT-related Responsibilities
- Businesses that meet the minimum annual turnover requirement (as evidenced by their financial records) need to register for VAT.
- All VAT-registered businesses in the UAE must record their financial transactions and ensure that their financial records are true and up to the minute.
- Businesses still should maintain their financial records in any event even if they think they don’t qualify to be on the VAT register, so the related authorities can establish whether or not they should be registered.
Usually, VAT-registered businesses:
- Must charge VAT on taxable goods or services they supply;
- May reclaim any VAT they’ve paid on business-related goods or services;
- Keep an array of business records which will allow the government to study that they have got things right
- Must report the amount of VAT they’ve charged and the amount of VAT they’ve paid to the government on a regular basis. It will be a formal submission and the reporting is likely to be made online.
- Have to pay the difference to the government, in case they’ve charged more VAT than they’ve paid. If the case is vice-versa, they can reclaim the difference.
Mandatory Compliances Under UAE VAT
VAT rules can be complicated and the implications are not always examined. Implementation of VAT needs thoughtful planning for its success.
- Online registration under UAE Value Added Tax Law with the Federal Tax Authority.
- Filing periodical online VAT Returns and Payments on due dates specified by Federal Tax Authority under Value Added Tax Law.
- Maintenance of books of accounts in accord with Value Added Tax Law and rules made thereunder and guidelines issued by FTA from time to time.
- Record keeping in line with the requirements under VAT Law and rules made thereunder and guidelines issued by FTA from time to time.
- Issuance of Tax invoice
- Provisions of all relevant details if there is an audit conducted by Federal Tax Authority (FTA)
Adam Global: Your VAT Consultant in UAE
The guide is there to help, the FTA portal is user-friendly, just register your business and file VAT online as required. Easier said than done? The relative clarity of VAT laws, rules and regulations seem no rocket science to you, however, when it comes to bringing it into practice especially meeting online FTA compliance requirements, VAT-related business activities are way more complex than you think and require expert and mature resources in the field. VAT Consultants in Dubai like us provide support at all the stages of online VAT compliance in the United Arab Emirates. Our seasoned VAT specialists in Dubai, along with an international team of pro VAT service providers across the Adam Global network have been advising and implementing strategies to assist establishments in adhering to their VAT obligations and mitigate VAT liabilities and specifically for clients sans full VAT recovery. Join us today for any kind of VAT support. Your first consultancy is on us! We don’t charge meeting you and shooting the breeze!
We Offer: VAT Services in Dubai
In addition to business set-up consultancy, you may count on Adam Global for a wide range of services pertaining to VAT in UAE including but not limited to:
- VAT Registration Services
- VAT Return Filing in UAE
- VAT Submission UAE
- VAT Advisory Services
- VAT Compliance Assurance Services
- VAT Training
- VAT Refund Request Filing
- VAT Deregistration
VAT Consultancy Services Dubai
Being the best VAT consultants in Dubai, we have been providing our clients with the best possible solutions since our inception. We offer a wide range of services including:
VAT Registration :VAT registration is one of the first steps towards becoming compliant with VAT laws in Dubai. Businesses can register for VAT under voluntary or mandatory regimes based on criteria as per FTA (Federal Tax Authority).
VAT Returns Filing : After registration, businesses need to file their VAT returns. The process is quite easy and can be completed through the FTA e-portal. It communicates about the amount of VAT paid by the business during the financial year.
VAT Training : In order to comply with the new VAT rules, all businesses are required to undergo training before they can start filing their VAT returns. This will help them understand the tax implications of their business operations.
VAT Refund Request : If you find that your business has overpaid its taxes, then you can request a refund from the government. You can submit this request through the FTA e-Portal. This service is only available if you have filed your return correctly.
VAT Deregistration : Once a business ceases operations within UAE, it needs to deregister itself from VAT. However, if the business continues to operate but does not pay VAT, then it may also be considered for deregistration.
If you need any assistance or guidance regarding VAT Consultancy services in Dubai, UAE please contact us at +971 4 341 9701 or email us at [email protected]
Let’s Make Things Happen
Are you looking for an expert opinion on your company’s financial health?
Our team of auditing and accounting specialists can provide you with a thorough and comprehensive assessment. They will review your financial records, identify areas for improvement, and provide you with a personalized action plan to optimize your financial performance.
To get your personalized consultation, simply click the “Get a callback” button and schedule a call with one of our specialists.
Let us help you take control of your finances today.